SkinPen is a medical grade, state-of-the-art microneedling device designed to improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and scars on the face and body. It allows for controlled induction of the skin’s self-repair process by creating thousands of precise micro-injuries in the dermis, automatically triggering new collagen synthesis without causing scar tissue formation. Microneedling has been safely used in a wide variety of patient-types including patients of all skin-types.
There are three phases to the wound repair process:
- Phase I: Inflammation. Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to disinfect the wounds, remove debris, increase blood flow and begin to create new tissue.
- Phase II: Proliferation. The wound is re-built with new granulation cells, as well as a temporary (type III) collagen and elastin, which are part of the extracellular matrix. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
- Phase III: Remodeling. The wound has been replaced with new dermal tissues and blood vessels. The type III collagen in the newly formed tissue is replaced with stronger type I collagen, which can contract to create a tightening or “shrink wrap” effect on the skin.
How is microneedling performed?
Microneedling can be performed using SkinPen, a medical-grade, state-of-the-art microneedling tool available only through medical professionals.The treatment typically takes about 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the size and number of areas treated and the degree of treatment requested by the patient.
What are the benefits of microneedling?
- Microneedling helps reduce the signs of aging, improve the appearance of acne scars and rejuvenate aging skin. In one study of 60 patients with acne scarring, three microneedling treatments resulted in a 31 percent improvement in skin texture, with no discoloration of the skin. Microneedling was effective for all skin types.
- Is appropriate for all skin types. The SkinPen microneedling device creates hundreds of tiny micro-channels in the skin with minimal damage to the epidermis. SkinPen disrupts the junctions between the skin cells, temporarily disrupting the skin’s barrier function. This brief, mechanical disruption does not cause the melanocytes (pigment-producing cells) in the epidermis to react by increasing pigment production and darkening the skin in a process called hyperpigmentation. Therefore, SkinPen can be used on all skin types, including darker skin that is more susceptible to hyperpigmentation.
- Can be used on many body parts. The SkinPen needle depth adjusts from .25 mm up to 2 mm, allowing the provider to tailor the treatments to the patient’s particular skin thickness as well as his or her needs. SkinPen’s variable needle depth makes it more versatile than traditional rollers, and it can be used efficiently on many parts of the body.
- Has minimal risk of infections or scarring. SkinPen doesn’t remove or damage the epidermis and doesn’t trigger the inflammatory pathway, meaning infections and scarring are unlikely.
Does microneedling hurt?
A topical anesthetic is typically applied prior to a SkinPen procedure. This allows for a comfortable experience for most people. Generally, patients report feeling just the slight vibration of SkinPen during the procedure. In one study of micro-needling used to treat acne scars, the patients’ average pain rating was only 1.08 out of 10. For most people, that’s probably less painful than having your eyebrows waxed.
Is there downtime after the microneedling procedure?
The total healing time depends on each individual. Most patients have some slight swelling and redness/pinkness (like a mild to moderate sunburn) for two to four days following the microneedling procedure. Some people may see their skin return to normal in about 24 hours.
Applying Skinfuse RESCUE Calming Complex immediately post-procedure soothes the skin and reduces inflammation. RESCUE was formulated by Bellus Medical as part of the Skinfuse post-procedure protocol specifically to calm the skin following the SkinPen microneedling procedure.
When will I see results?
Patients may notice healthier looking skin immediately. However, the natural repair process of your own skin continues to progress through the course of several weeks. Damage that has occurred over an extensive period of time won’t disappear immediately. You may not see the final result for up to six months following your final session. *Individual results will vary.
How many procedures are recommended?
The number of procedures required will be determined by your skincare professional based upon your individual procedure goals and the overall health of your skin. Most patients receive a series of three procedures spaced about four weeks apart. Your provider will develop a procedure and maintenance plan specific to you to help maintain the rejuvenating effects.
Can I wear make-up immediately following a procedure?
Patients typically can resume their normal makeup regimen two to three days following the SkinPen® procedure, depending on the area and type of procedure performed.
Microneedling with PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) aka Vampire Facial
The second procedure is called PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma). Platelet Rich Plasma is produced from an individual’s own blood. After a blood sample is obtained from a patient, the blood is put into a centrifuge, which is a tool that separates the PRP from the blood.
While micro-needling PRP is applied to the skin, the micro channels allow even distribution across the treatment area as well as absorption into deeper layers of the skin. PRP’s growth factors go to work in these deeper skin layers, encouraging collagen growth as well as rejuvenation of collagen cells.